Job Opportunities for Google Earth, GIS Data Engineer @ Google – Bangalore
Google Earth, GIS Data Engineer – Bangalore
This position is based in Bangalore, India.
The area: Engineering
Simply put, Google engineers make computers do amazing things. Populated by extraordinarily creative, motivated and talented people, our Engineering team gets excited by developing new applications that really make a difference and are used by millions of people. We’re driven by Google’s mission to organise the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful. Our team is populated by talented individuals who thrive on tackling such challenges as building highly scalable computing infrastructures, novel storage systems, innovative user experiences or the next big application that will change the world.
The role: Google Earth, GIS Data Engineer
As a GIS Data Engineer with Google Earth, you’ll develop software tools that support the GIS data-processing teams in fusing massive image datasets into a multi-terabyte 3D model of the globe. This means you’ll ensure that all the requisite data has the proper information. You’ll also produce reports related to imagery, terrain and/or vector data. This job requires that you have deep Linux knowledge and scripting skills, along with familiarity with Open GIS standards.
- Develop tools, software and processes to execute the data preparation of imagery, terrain and vector data for publishing in the Google Earth database and maps.
- Create the framework and tools to shepherd data from acquisition through final deployment.
- Ensure all data has the proper metadata information via proper reporting from data scripts to database tools.
- Build validation to ensure all data adheres to strict accuracy and quality specifications.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in Computer Science or Engineering and/or an MS in GeoInformatics.
- At least 5 years of relevant industry exposure, with 2-3 years of software engineering experience.
- Experience with creating command-line tools with C++ and Python.
- Proven experience with Open GIS standards, standard file formats, GIS tools and spatial databases.
- Experience working with large data sets and fluency with vector, image and/or terrain data.
- Strong organisational and communication skills.
This Job is posted in http://www.google.co.in/support/jobs/bin/answer.py?answer=89914